PennDOT District 11 is announcing a portion of Route 18 remains closed to traffic due to an overnight train derailment in the City of New Castle, Lawrence County.
Due to a train derailment, a portion of Route 18 between Mt. Jackson Road (Route 108) and Blanchard Street remains closed to traffic. PennDOT personnel are on scene to assess the condition of the roadway once the rail cars are removed. Currently, Route 18 traffic is being detoured.
South of the closure
- From northbound Route 18, turn left onto Mt. Jackson Road (Route 108)
- Turn right onto westbound Route 317 (Edinburg Road)
- Bear right onto northbound Route 551
- Turn right onto Route 224 (West State Street)
- Follow Route 224 back to Route 18 (South Jefferson Street) in the City of New Castle
- End detour
North of the closure
- Follow Route 18 to Route 224 (West Falls Street)
- Take Route 224 westbound
- Turn left onto southbound Route 551 (Jackson Street)
- Turn left onto eastbound Route 317
- Turn left onto Mt. Jackson Road (Route 108)
- Follow Mt. Jackson Road back to Route 18
- End detour
Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles, including color-coded winter conditions on 2,900 miles, by visiting 511PA. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.
511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.
Information about infrastructure in District 11 including completed work and significant projects, is available at PennDOT District 11 Results. Find PennDOT’s planned and active construction projects at PennDOT Projects.